Saturday, September 19, 2009

Church Nerd - The Field Trip Edition, With a Side Order of SSP (shameless self promotion)

The tone of this blog has been rather serious. *sigh* I know. What can I tell you?

And you would think that the only blogger I know is this one as he seems to be the only one I have linked to.

It is not on purpose, it is just how it is.

If you read these pages you likely know that I am a social networking fool. I have met about 30 bloggers now. You know, you think you are in it for the anonymity and then next thing you know, it is meet-up, meet-up, meet-up. Well - it is for me anyway.

I guess - sorry, going all Catholic-Eucharistic-Theology on you here, it is all about real presence for me. Social networking is great, but in the end it is how we connect as human beings. For me that is ultimately the Body Christ in action, as we love and serve one another.

Speaking of social networking and real presence, (shameless self promotion alert), I have written about Catholics and social networking and even got myself published... Really! Don't believe me, click here to see my piece in The Evangelist, the newspaper of my diocese.


With that, I headed off to NYC (sorry to those of you with whom I want to meet, but have yet to This is me with my great friend Sue.
do so) with my friend Sue. Our plan was to attend a talk by Richard Rohr, OFM at St. John's University in Queens, NY. Rohr is promoting his newest book, The Naked Now.

We drove to NYC and headed out to Brooklyn by subway. We went to the offices and studios of NET NY. Deacon Greg, the one I have been linking to non-stop, is the news director there.

This is me with Deacon Greg.

It was great to meet Greg in person. He is delightful - warm, funny, smart and passionate about his faith. Greg worked at CBS for many years and like me, has traded his media career in for a ministry career. Pay attention to his name, you may be seeing more it and not just because I link to him a lot.

We watched a taping of the program Currents, a daily half-hour Catholic news program. After that it was off to Rhythm and Booze for an early dinner.

See - we're Catholic, not puritans, we drink! OK, Greg didn't, he had to go back to work!

Then it was off to hear Richard Rohr. He was at his best. He is a great speaker, this is my third time hearing him. Rohr is right up my alley, speaking about the "both/and" rather than the "either/or." Holding the tension of polarities is, I think, wisdom. It is what I try, and often fail to do. I keep trying. This is a big topic for Rohr.

I always get to chat with him too - he is a truly delightful man. Much of my re-entry to the RC church had to do with reading a lot of his work and he is with me to this day, TBTG.

Then it was back to the hotel in Manhattan and sleep. Up and out, we hopped over to the studios of Busted Halo to meet Mike Hayes. (That link will lead you to a great article about Mike. Mike also blogs at Googling God, which is also the name of his book.)

After founding Busted Halo 9 years ago, Mike is about to move on to Buffalo, NY. I had met Mike in the spring, when he came to Albany for a catechetical event. (I love the word catechetical, and am using it in honor of Catechetical Sunday. I should point out that in the tiny cute world of faith, Mike founded Busted Halo along with Brett Hoover, CSP. Brett knows our beloved Jane Redmont, proving that we are probably all less than six degrees apart!

We were also going to meet with Mike's real life friend and my blog friend, Paul Snatchko.

Mike Hayes, Paul Snatchko and me at breakfast.

What a delight that was! We had a great breakfast at a classic NYC coffee shop, The Flame. We talked and talked and talked.

My good friend Sue was a great sport about being dragged to all these meet ups and I think (I hope!) that she had a good time. It was refreshing for her to see that my blogging has led me to some great friendships and is very enriching to my faith. Sue is a big part of my local faith community here and a great friend to me.

After breakfast, Sue, Mike, Paul and I walked over to St. Paul's and spent some time there.

There is an outstanding and I do mean OUTSTANDING art exhibit going on there if you are in the area. It is called God Doesn't Like Ugly and it was amazing. No you don't have to be Catholic to walk into the church and explore the art.

This was a great trip and I recommend all these bloggers to you. To those I have met, from every corner - I say thank you and to those I hope to meet, I say yes!

8 comments:

  1. You sure had fun! And does the camera love you or what? Pondering your comment, "social netowrking is great, but..." in light of recent experiences that highlighted the "real" if not "actual" presence of wondering people in my life because of social networking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! You are definitely a social networking butterfly! That must show my envy, right?

    Hope you're reading "The Naked Now." I am and am loving it, as always with a Rohr book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these 'field trip' reports. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a blast, Fran. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. KarenZipdrive<--seething with envy.
    One day, when you least expect it, you and I will be meeting in person.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay on the publication! It's about time that the Catholic press recognized. And I now expect you to come back to DC as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fran,

    Thanks for sharing your journey with me. I had so much fun and meeting your blogger friends was wonderful. Keep on writing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a fabulous time was had by all! Love the stories of the connections and the meetups!

    ReplyDelete

As you were saying... Please note that word verification has been enabled to due many spam comments. Comments on posts older than 7 days will be moderated.