Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Healing Prayers Are Needed... And Practical Help

 Photo of the Cottone Family - John Carl D'Annibale/Times Union
 
When I was at Spring Enrichment this year, I saw a friend that I knew from previous SE experiences. She seemed a bit pre-occupied when I waved hello, but I did not think anything of it.

After seeing her for a third time, she stopped and apologized for her distance. It turns out that she was more than pre-occupied; she was overwhelmed.  She then went on to tell me the story of her daughter's family and their many health issues and challenges.

Her daughter, Margie, had gotten married and moved to Georgia. Margie and her husband Tony had a son, Jayden. When Margie became pregnant again, it turned out that there were tremendous issues with the fetus who was baby Lexi.

They were living in Georgia and expecting their second child, but 20 weeks into the pregnancy the couple learned their unborn daughter had deformities. She was missing a bone in her arm, and doctors said she had no toes or fingers. Doctors predicted the fetus would not survive because her lungs were filled with fluid.
All of this is told in a story about the Cottone family in today's Times Union, which you can find here.

Alexis Cottone - 7 months old Photo by John Carl D'Annibale/Times Union

Ever since my friend Carol had told me the story, I had been thinking about it. Carol had given me a flier telling the story and announcing a fund raiser for the family, but it had gotten dog eared in my tote. Late last week I emailed the person whose name was on this flier and got myself another copy. It has been on my mind to find a way to publicize this story and event, but I had not done so.

While I am very sad for this family, I am glad that they landed on the front page of today's paper. This will hopefully give the matter some prominence so that more help can be given.

If you have not already read the story, here is the what followed... Lexi's health challenges proved to be great after being born and diagnosed with thrombocytopenia-absent radius syndrome. Tony and Margie felt that it would be best for them all to pull up stakes and return to the Capital District, which they did. Two weeks later Tony had a seizure and was found to have a stage 2 mixed oligoastrocytoma mass in his brain.

Seriously - you could not make this up.

Right now the family is making their way. If you you are in the area, consider attending the fund raiser which will be held at The Inn at Saratoga at 5pm on Saturday or making a donation. Details about both are at the end of the article.

And if you pray, please keep this family in your prayers. As Margie said in the story... "I've always been a religious person, so I pray every day -- and that helps me,"

Please pray with and for Margie and the Cottone family and thanks for doing what you can to help by donating or by putting this story on your blog and/or Facebook page, or Twitter feed!

4 comments:

  1. I am absolutely blown away by the trials endured by some. And then I think about the little things that cause me to blow my gasket. Humbling, indeed. Prayers will flow for the whole family...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelly - they need our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will pray. May God strengthen this family and all those who seem to always be under the cover of storm clouds in life.

    ReplyDelete

As you were saying... Please note that word verification has been enabled to due many spam comments. Comments on posts older than 7 days will be moderated.